SIMPCO is seeking a Senior Accountant to assist in the accounting functions of the organization, including reporting for State and Federally funded programs and awards. Qualified applicants will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and sufficient knowledge and experience related to governmental accounting.
Areas of responsibility include general accounting, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, decision support, financial forecasting, budget development, financial analysis, financial reporting, external audits, fixed asset and property accounting, cash management, and financial records maintenance. The Senior Accountant assists in the development of operating and capital budgets, and ensures that services are provided in a manner consistent with the mission and philosophy of Siouxland Interstate Metropolitan Planning Council.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate the accounting functions related to programs funded by Local, State, and Federal agencies.
- Support the Finance Director in the financial reporting and other administrative requirements of Local, State, and Federal grants and contracts.
- Prepare, review, or direct all accounting entries (transactions and journals).
- Oversee the preparation of invoices, other billings, and collection of funds.
- Coordinate the preparation and review of audit work papers.
- Monitor/track the financial and accounting status of each program through its program life cycle to closure and reconciliations.
- Prepare all applicable fiscal reports for programs and ensure the timely submission thereof.
- Directly consult with the Finance Director as it relates to the financial administration of grants and the budgeting of such grants, including interpretation of federal requirements pertaining to allowable and un-allowable costs based on the guidelines provided by the agency and contained in the grant agreements.
- Prepare regular financial reports for the Finance Director.
- Attend relevant professional development training and stay abreast of the Office of Management and Budget Circulars and their applicability to grants management related to the A-133 audit
- Assist in training and growth of accounting staff.
- Assist in preparation of the annual budget.
- Assist in the preparation of the cost allocation plan.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (or equivalent experience) and a minimum of 2 years accounting experience, preferably in a State and Local Government environment.
- Prior experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge accounting software a plus.
- Must be able to create and utilize queries within the accounting software.
- Must have strong knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Excel.
- Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Certified Public Finance Officer Certification a plus.
- Knowledge of federal regulations and OMB Cost Circulars related to programs at local, state, and federal levels preferred.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of general governmental accounting and fiscal management principles.
- Must have strong, verbal, and written communication skills
- Must possess the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must maintain strict confidentiality.
Salary range: $55,000-80,000.
Applications deadline: July 7, 2021
Please submit your resume & salary expectations to:
Bill Cole, Finance Director
Siouxland Interstate Metropolitan Planning Council
1122 Pierce St.
Sioux City, IA 51105
Fax: (712) 279-6920